|Subject:||John Portman Recommendation|
|Date:||Sun, 15 May 2011 20:38:56 -0400|
|From:||Preston Harden <email@example.com>|
I hope all is well. In an effort to determine an honor befitting Xernona Clayton and John Portman, the office of President Ceasar C. Mitchell engaged both commissions to develop a solution. The solution was based from the feedback provided by the NPU, Urban Design Commission, Community at large and other factors. It was the desire of the office of President Mitchell to find a common ground for the community and commission alike. As a result, the following was recommended by the Clayton Commission:
Clayton Commission Recommendation:
- Dedicate the upper portion of Hardy Ivy Park as “Xernona Clayton Plaza”.
- Install street toppers on Baker Street from Piedmont Ave to Centennial Olympic Park.
John Portman Commission Recommendation:
- Change Harris Street to John C. Portman Boularvard
- Install street topper to reflect: “Historic Harris Street”
- On Harris Street, install historic plaque to tell the history of Harris Street (Examples are below)
- In addition, install historic plaque to tell the history of John C. Portman (Examples are below)
As both legislations were packaged together, we worked very hard with both commission to develop a common solution based on the feedback from the community. In addition, the office of President Mitchell is also prepared to introduce a resolution to develop a city wide commission. This commission will be responsible for reviewing the existing legislation and determine the best approach for honoring future honorees.
In close, we have worked very hard to find a common solution for all stakeholders. Thank you in advance for your assistance and support. We look forward to our continued partnership to make the city of Atlanta great.
Preston L. Harden
Director of Intergovernmental and Community Relations
Office of President Ceasar C. Mitchell